Why the FMA®?
The FMA® Designation program positions you as a key strategic contributor within your organization by helping you to create a productive work environment and handle tenant issues such as daily operations, maintenance, comfort, and safety.
What Will I Learn?
In the FMA® program, you’ll learn to manage facilities in a way that best supports tenants and staff, while meeting your organization’s overall objectives. This program covers everything from planning and project management to environmental health and worker safety. In addition, it provides the information needed to minimize maintenance costs and properly manage other timely issues.
Who Should Enroll?
Assistant facility managers, facility managers, and those responsible for daily operations and maintenance.
Those enrolling in the designation after July 1, 2013 will be required to follow the new requirements; however, if you enrolled prior to July 2013, contact our office to confirm the course requirements.
A Pathway to Earn Your Credential
The Capstone Experience
The Capstone Experience program reduces the administrative hurdle of completing the complex Experience Form by only requiring employment history verification. To maintain the integrity of BOMI's programming, the Capstone Experience includes a culminating FMA® Capstone Exam once all FMA® course requirements are complete.
- Learners who enroll in the FMA® Designation program as of January 1, 2021 will be automatically enrolled in the Capstone Experience Program.
- Those enrolled in the FMA® prior to January 1, 2021 must complete their program prior to December 31, 2021. If current programs are not completed by that time, learners will automatically be enrolled in the Capstone Experience program, and a Capstone Exam Fee is required.
The FMA® Capstone Exam is not a cumulative final exam, but a 100-question multiple choice exam reflective of your three years of industry experience. The exam includes:
- Two-hour, 100-question multiple choice exam
- Proctored exam to be taken at Pearson VUE
- Questions are application-based, using scenarios that rely on the learners' three years of experience in commercial property and facility management
- Optional Online Self-Paced Capstone Exam prep courses are available for the FMA®
You can begin pursuing your FMA® at any time during your career. Before you are awarded your FMA® Designation, you are required to demonstrate three years of verifiable facilities management experience. The criteria are outlined in the FMA® Designation Experience Form. This form may be submitted an any time following enrollment.
For those who have prior education in an area that overlaps with the FMA®, you may be eligible to receive credit for one or more courses. To review the requirements please refer to the Administrative Competency Chart in the form below, which outlines what is eligible and how you go about applying to get credit for a course.
- Courses may be taken in any order.
- Choose the flexible course delivery option that works best for you - online self-paced, collaborative virtual learning, accelerated review or classroom setting, where applicable.
- Enroll in the FMA® Designation and/or register for a class using the methods below: